Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Book Review: A Walk with Jane Austen

I finished this book over the Christmas holidays, but I'm just now getting around to reviewing it.

I didn't know what to expect when I began this book. I has an interesting cover, and I love Jane Austen, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Overall, it was enjoyable. But it wasn't quite what I was expecting.

The book chronicles the author's trek through England to sites which Jane Austen lived or visited. The author begins her stay at a seminar, where she meets a young man and wonders whether he is to become her Darcy. After just a few days together, he heads back to the US and she continues on her journey. She visits homes where Jane Austen lived, churches where she worshiped, and towns where she mingled with friends. All the while, she is mulling over her new relationship and where it might lead.

Since I've never read very much about Jane Austen's life, I did learn a bit about her. But I also got to learn about the author's take on life. The author grew up in an evangelical Christian church, and she writes about how that upbringing is affecting her current life as a young, professional single woman. That part of the book was interesting to me, as I am rearing my 2 kids in a similar environment and it caused me to think about questions and problems they might encounter when they become young adults. She entertwined all this with some of Jane Austen's religious background.

In all, I recommend this title, especially to Austen fans who are also Christian. It might make you think a bit!

No comments: