Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

My goodness, it's 2008. I checked the date on my pc this morning, just to be sure. Happy New Year everyone!

Are you making any resolutions? According to Miriam-Webster, to resolve is to reach a firm decision about. Hmmm. I'm not always so firm in my decision making. Maybe I'll make some New Year's Endeavors instead. M-W says to endeavor is to attempt (as the fulfillment of an obligation) by exertion of effort . Yeah, that sounds more like it. New Year's Endeavors!

Ok, for 2008, I will endeavor to...

1. Start running again. Don't laugh! I know, I can barely say it out loud because that sounds verrrrrry out of character for me! But I actually did start running a little last fall. I was using Couch to 5K as my guide, and I was doing sort of ok with it. I even lost 10 lbs, and that was without changing my diet. So what happened? It got cold. I hate cold. And I'd lost my earmuffs. I hate cold ears. My Man got me some earmuffs for Christmas, bless his heart, so now I have no excuses. In fact, there's a 5K walk/run at Freedom Park on March 1. I'm going to enter it. (did I just say that out loud??) I'll probably walk most of it, but I'm going to enter it anyway. Dear Sis, if you're out there, you want to do it with me?

2. Do some landscaping. I really love the idea of beautiful gardens. I even love the idea of working in beautiful gardens. And in the spring, I'm all about being outside and working in my yard. But then, comes summer. Here in my part of the world, we have mosquitos. Lots and lots of mosquitos. And I am mosquito bait! So by early to mid July, my gardening days are over because I can't stand the bug bites! So this spring, I will endeavor to lay some natural areas in my yard. I need to do 3 projects in particular.

One is to plant some shrubs to screen the view of my new neighbors. Not their view of me so much as my view of them. You see, the view out the window over my kitchen sink used to be woods. Nothing but lovely woods. Then someone came and bought those woods, knocked down all the trees, and built a house. Their garage is directly in front of my kitchen window, and the guy who lives there is always in his garage. So every time I go to my sink, I feel like Mrs. Kravitz. And I hate that! I can't help but look at him and try to figure out what he's doing over there (he's got a race car that he's fixing up). So I think some nice, big shrubs are in order for that little corner of my yard.




My second yard project is landscaping around our new steps. We had these steps added off our lakeside deck in November, and they need some type of plantings around them now. We're leaning towards rhododendrons for this spot.





The third landscaping project is the biggest, and it probably won't get done because I've needed to fix this for 5 years now. It is the bank that is between our house and the lake. It is steep, and terrible soil, and I just don't know what I want to do with it. So it just sits there, getting weedier and weedier. Maybe I'll get a brain wave this year and have some wonderful, inexpensive, easy to do idea for it.

3. Spend more time in the Word. I guess this one is on my list every year, and I hope it will be every year to come. I know that if I follow through on this endeavor, my new year will be blessed. I'll be a better person because I'll be more grounded in the Lord and hopefully I'll listen to Him and act on His behalf rather than my own. Really, what more could I need than that?

2 comments:

Kristine said...

I'm enjoying your blog! We have one set of neighbors quite close; both our houses are built practically on the property line. We put in a long row of evergreen shrubs (I'm so bad with names!) that will eventually grow together like a screen, 10'? high. Because their dog continues to use an old path through the shrubs, we'll also be putting up a small split-rail type fence in front of the shrubs.

It struck me how similar our curricula is, SWR, Rainbow, Latina Christiana, and we used Fallacy Detective last year.

my5wolfcubs said...

Endeavors...love that! 3 months to the 5K!
Lee (from the WTM board)