Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Illness update

Well, I seem to be feeling better.

Apparently, what started out as a crick in my neck turned into some severe muscle spasms and inflammation. At least that's what we're going with now, and it does seem to finally feel less intense. Last Wednesday I had the crick in my neck. Then we drove to Washington DC. It was raining the whole way, and since it was the day after Christmas it was bumper to bumper the entire, 7 hour ride. Thankfully I wasn't the one driving, but it was stressful just the same. By that night, my neck was throbbing and my whole head was pounding.

In the past I've had similar back pains and have learned that 4 ibuprofen, taken 3 times a day, will take care of it. With this pain, though, the ibuprofen only lasted about 3 hours and then it was back full force. I couldn't turn my head left or right, look up or down, and I couldn't sleep. Try sightseeing and staying in a hotel room under these conditions sometime -- it ain't easy! The kids would say, Mom! look at that bird over there! and I would look like my poor Uncle Lewis, who has to turn his whole body when he looks to the side.

By Friday night I knew I wanted to see a doctor, but I didn't want to have to drag the kiddos to a waiting room in a strange city for who knows how long. We decided we should head home on Saturday morning. We got back home in time for My Man to take me to the Urgent Care on Saturday afternoon. I told you in an earlier post about the tests -- everything came back fine -- so the dr. decided to treat it as muscle spasms. Yesterday (Sunday) morning the pain was just as intense as ever and I was getting worried. You know, all kinds of terrible scenarios can pop into your mind when you have a mysterious, blinding pain in your head for 4 days straight.

Anyway, I called the dr. and he added another muscle spasm releaser prescription. I'm happy to say, that it really does seem better this morning. Of course, I can barely keep my eyes open from the drowsiness caused by all these meds I'm on! But I do think I'm on the mend. I'm so thankful for caring physicians!

No comments: