Monday, January 14, 2008

Teamwork.

My Girl and My Boy came to me the other day asking if they could have a garden in the spring. "What do you want to grow?," I asked. "Oh, maybe just strawberries, potatoes, corn, pickles (grin), pumpkins, watermelons, broccoli, tomatoes, and some herbs." Is that all???

We only live on about 1/2 an acre, and there are trees all around -- not much room for a large, sunny garden. Besides, while I love to garden in the spring, once the temp. hits 90 and the mosquitoes come around, I'm an inside, a.c. girl! I do well to tend to 3 or 4 tomato plants each year and those get pretty jungle-y by August.

Nonetheless, I gave over my small raised garden bed. It hasn't been tended at all since last summer, so it's in need of a lot of work. Now when My Girl is bored, or My Boy needs to let off some steam, I can point to the hoe and send them outside. I wonder how long they'll keep it up? If they keep going, I'll post more pictures along the way.

Here's the first -- hoeing out the weeds from last summer's garden. (Our property line is just behind My Girl. That's a vacant lot beside us.)

1 comment:

Kristine said...

Great idea that the kids had! I'm feeling the itch from reading that new Kingsolver book, A Year of Food Life--and they live very close to me in SW VA. But I'm too lazy to actually go through with it myself, lol.