Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Giver

">

Have you read The Giver, by Lois Lowry?

It is a book written for children (ages 12+) that looks at a future world where all circumstances of life are controlled in order to create a Utopia of sorts. It is quite interesting in how it warns of what society would be like with all risk removed, all choices made for you by Elders, everything ordered and organized. The goal of this society is sameness, with everyone memorizing the Rules so everyone knows how to treat each other politely and no one feels uncomfortable or uneasy. There is a speaker in every house so announcements can be made (and the Elders can listen in if necessary).

Hard to imagine, yet not so hard... This morning I was reading the book at the local middle school, while waiting for My Girl to finish her speech therapy. As I sat there reading, I heard over the loudspeaker, "Teachers, please turn on your tv's for this morning's announcements." Talk about an eerie feeling! I thought I had been transported to the land in the book!

I'm reading The Giver for a Bible study our pastor will be leading during Advent. I'm not sure how he's going to tie it in, but it should be interesting!

">

2 comments:

Kristine said...

Jana--eerie!

I just gave you an "I Love Your Blog" award on my post from today. I'm feeling TERRIBLY guilty that I have the ancient email in my box that I need to answer...maybe by next school year? Eek!

Lorna said...

We loved The Giver by Lois Lowry. What a fascinating read for both adults and children. She also wrote a wonderful book called 'Number the Stars' set in Copenhagen during the Second World War whic our daughter loved.