Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Holiday Busy-ness



Thought I'd share some photos of the decorations in our home.

Here's our tree.



I was proud of this bargain this year -- we went to the tree lot and asked if they had any trees put aside due to damage. This one had the top spire broken off when they put it in the truck, so he sold it to us for $20! It would've sold for $50 or $60 regularly.

Our tree is decorated with a true hodge-podge of ornaments, including a lot from Hallmark. When my children were born, I began the tradition of buying them each a Hallmark ornament every year so they would have some ornaments from home to take with them when they move away. I selected them for their first couple of years, but from then on they have selected them. They look forward every November to going to the Hallmark store and picking out their ornaments, and I'm happy to get the free ornament Hallmark gives away if you buy 2 or more.

I will admit, I wouldn't always choose the ornaments the kids pick out. We have a tiny mp3 player (that plays real music!)...



some Star Wars figures...



and this year we've added a miniature PacMan video game terminal. But the kids had their reasons, and they love going through them all every year and remembering each one.

The tree is also adorned with handmade crocheted snowflakes a dear woman at a previous church gave us.



One of these days I'm going to find some patterns for those and add to my collection. They are my favorites on the tree.

These are two Santas my mom painted a few years ago. They stand in the corner of our stairway.



Here is more of my mom's artwork. She used to enjoy toll painting and was actually very good at it before she got sick. Her favorite things to paint were Christmas decorations, so I have lots of her work on display this time of year!





Here's a cross-stitch Santa I made a few years ago, and a nativity My Man's mom brought to us from her trip to the Holy Land.



My china cabinet holds some of my Christmas china, some additional Santa figures, and some pottery.



These porcelain Santas were given to me from my mom.



I remember when I was growing up, she used to collect these. There was a local department store, Peebles, that sold these. They would put an ad in the paper to announce that the Santas are in! and Mom and her friend Mary Anne would arrive bright and early and stand in line to purchase the 2 or 3 offerings for that year. They are beautiful and my kids are fascinated with them as they wear or hold something from the history of the time period they depict.

These pottery plates were a gift each year from a family at a previous church.



The church was located near Seagrove, NC. If you've never been pottery shopping at Seagrove, you really should go. They have over 90 small pottery shops, each one with it's own personality. Great day trip! Anyway, this family would give us a plate of homemade cookies on one of these plates each year. That was such a thoughtful gift and one I remember every Christmas.

Speaking of homemade cookies, this year I decided to bake some goodies to give as gifts to My Man's coworkers at church.

I found these adorable plates -- on sale for $3 each!



I filled them with goodies..



This year I made PW's molasses cookies, PW's chocolate candy cane cookies, pretzel rods dipped in chocolate, and tiger butter...


... and added a pretty red bow.



I think I'm all done!

Tiger Butter

16oz white chocolate
12 oz crunchy peanut butter
16oz semi-sweet chocolate

Prepare a jelly roll pan by covering it in wax paper. Combine the white chocolate and the peanut butter, and melt in double boiler or microwave. Stir together well, then spread mixture on the wax paper. Melt the semi-sweet chocolate and drizzle it over the top of the white chocolate mixture. Using a butter knife or the back of a spoon, spread the darker chocolate over the white chocolate, swirling it around so you can see pretty "striping" patterns. Refrigerate the chocolate for an hour or so, until firm. Break the candy into pieces about 2". Store in refrigerator to keep the peanut butter firm.

2 comments:

Deb said...

I love your blog! You collect Santas...so do I! You have holiday china...me too! thanks for stopping by my blog...I'll be back to visit you daily! Promise! good luck

Mrs. C said...

Beautiful! I love your snowflake ornaments and your cross-stitched Santa. Great going on the tree!

Thanks for your notes. McAddenville sounds like fun. We may have to check it out next year. That pottery place sounds neat, too. Right up my alley!

Take care & have a Merry Christmas!