Thursday, January 01, 2009

Another New Year

Happy New Year, everyone!

I've been making the rounds on my blog list and enjoying reading so many New Year's resolutions & goals. So of course I've been thinking about my own.

You know what? The only thing I can really think of is to be stronger in 2009.

Well, of course, there's always lose weight. But it seems like lose weight is up there on a shelf all the time. Every year. And each New Year I take it down, blow the dust off of it, and put it back. There, I can look at it, appreciate its beauty and value, and then go on about my business. Sigh. One of these days I'm going to take it down and actually put it to use!

No, this year I want to be stronger. Here's what I mean.

*note* -- this is going to get very introspective and journal-y, I can tell. If you don't want to hear that stuff, then stop here! And Happy New Year!!


Some of you may remember that this time last year I had a health scare, and it seems to have really thrown me for a loop. What turned out to be relatively minor and fixable -- Praise God! -- could just as easily been very serious and life threatening. I'm seeing lately that the whole thing left me feeling very shaken and vulnerable, more than I realized. I have been feeling lately that I'm vulnerable to the whims of life, somehow, and I don't like that.

I know in my head that I am a child of God, and I am only subject to Him and His plans for my life. Knowing that in my head is a great comfort to me, but unfortunately that knowledge doesn't seem to spread to my emotions, my psyche. I've become more aware of life and of death, become more fearful of risk. More (if that's possible) of a homebody. It's not to the point that it has changed my lifestyle, but I don't want it to get that far!

So this year I want to feel stronger! More in control of my day-to-day life! I've been almost hibernating this Christmas break, and it has felt good. Helped me to recharge. But now it's time to get moving! I need to get my house in order, my kid's schooling in order, my LIFE in order!

It's time for a new outlook!

Now let's see if I can put this new resolution to actual use...

On a happier note, here's my favorite Carol Burnett sketch of all time. It's long, so if you can't watch it all, at least watch the first 4 minutes. (This is part 2 of the sketch. Part 1 is on youtube, also.)

2 comments:

Deb said...

You have the right outlook. Since I am new to your blog, I will throughly enjoy reading this in 2009.
Stay healthy!

Jana said...

thanks, Deb -- I'm looking forward to seeing you more this year!