Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Interview with Country Girl

Country Girl posted an interview of her own the other day, and offered to interview others. She graciously agreed to interview me, too, and here it is:

CG: I can see from reading your blog that you're a book lover. I'd like to know if you could tell me one single book that made an impact on you. Why?

WL: Oh my, one single book? Well, I suppose one that has made the biggest impact (besides the Bible of course) would be Dumbing Us Down: the Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling, by John Taylor Gatto. It's a short book, written by a former New York state Teacher of the Year, and it was a major factor in our final decision to go ahead and homeschool.

CG: Your Blogger profile lists North Carolina as your home. Are you a native of that state? And what do you love about North Carolina?

WL: Yes, in fact I'm one of the "rare" remaining natives in a state that has seen huge population growth from newcomers in recent years. I love lots of things about NC: the weather, the people, the fact that I can get to the mountains in less than 2 hours and the beach in 4 hours, the small towns, the trees, and the weather.

CG: If I asked your family what their favorite all-time mom-cooked meal was, what would they tell me? (They'd all have to agree!)

WL: I just asked them, and they agreed on creamed chicken served over rice, sauteed green beans, and rolls. And that's saying something, since they NEVER agree :-)

CG: I see that you homeschool. What led you to this decision?

WL: Yikes, how long do we have? Well, first, I was surprised that when it came time to return to work after maternity leave with My Boy, I found that I could not bear to turn my baby over to someone else for that many hours a day. So I didn't. I quit my job to stay home with him. Then, the Lord showed us some kids in our church who were the most poised, honest, good-natured, nice-to-be-around teens I'd ever met, and we knew we wanted our kids to turn out like those kids. They were homeschooled, and that was my first introduction to the fact that there were even such things as homeschooled kids. Through the years our kids were little we just kept hearing good things about homeschooling, and meeting more and more families that did it. And My Man is notoriously a "go against the stream" kind of guy, so he was very supportive. I knew from my own 6 years of teaching experience that while there were some very good teachers out there, there were also some very bad ones, and you have no control over which ones your child gets. I knew I could do at least as well as a mediocre teacher any day of the week. So we gave it a whirl. And our kids are looking more and more like those first teens we met years ago.

CG: If you could take your husband for a week-long getaway (money is no factor and the children will be cared for) where in the entire world would you go and why?

WL: I'd prefer a beach somewhere with a good book, buy My Man would be bored silly. So my dream trip with him would be to visit England to see all the places John Wesley lived and preached.

Thank you so much for the interview, Kate! I had fun answering your questions.

Would you like to be interviewed?

Here's the directions:
1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. (I get to pick the questions).
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

So let me know if you'd like to play along!

4 comments:

Deb said...

Learned a little something about you, Jana! As much as I would like to answer the questions, I don't think I can create such interesting questions for my respondees. But I have fun reading everyone's answers.

mary grace said...

Thanks for the comment, Jana! Yes, I went to high school in Charlotte for two years. I didn't grow up there, and I didn't stay long, but I still have family in the area.

Mrs. C said...

This was fun to read. If you'd like, you can interview me. Just leave me a note with your questions, and I'll try to post a reply right away.

Kristine said...

Love your interview, Jana! And I have to admit I think you're brave, I'd be too chicken to open myself up to unknown questions!