Monday, January 26, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook



FOR TODAY (January 26)...
Outside my window... It is evening, and chilly and grey. This seems to be a recurring cycle of weather lately -- grey and chilly.

I am thinking... of my sweet husband, who is out of town on a mission trip right now. (same as last Monday. Thank goodness, this is the last Monday I'll have to write that!)

I am thankful for... God's provision and faithfulness.

From the learning rooms... My Boy and My Girl each had good tournaments last Saturday in speech & debate. My Girl just barely got her expos speech completed in time to deliver it -- now she needs to work on memorizing it!

From the kitchen... we've been enjoying a big pot of barbecue the last day or so. I can only make this recipe when My Man is not home, as it doesn't agree with his delicate constitution :-)

I am wearing... satin-y pj's that have a flannel-like lining. Very warm and cozy, yet pretty too!

I am creating... a monogrammed pillowcase using this beautiful embroidery pattern:




I am going... to drink more water! Then I'll see about the next step in losing some weight.

I am reading... the Cliff's Notes version of the Iliad to aid in my teaching of this class in our co-op.

I am hoping... to get a good night's sleep tonight. One of our dogs, Princess, was up sick all night last night. I also hope she's ok now. She has seemed fine all day, so we'll see.

I am hearing... the news on tv. It's taking me awhile to be accustomed to having a new president. Every time they say "the president says..." and I look up to see President Obama it makes me start just a bit. Eight years is a long time to see the same person identified as "Mr. President" so I guess it's normal to take awhile to adjust!


Around the house... We're all pretty quiet, and winding down. We had a busy, busy weekend with the tournament on Saturday and church on Sunday, and then co-op today. We're all ready for a quiet normal day at home tomorrow.

One of my favorite things... is a warm spring afternoon spent on the porch swing overlooking the lake. That seems oh, so far away right now...

A few plans for the rest of the week: Teens in our homeschool group will be helping me serve dinner at Room in the Inn at our church on Wednesday night. This is a branch of the Urban Ministries program that provides overnight shelter for the homeless in our area.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...

I need some sunshine! Since there's none here for me, here's Monet's "Cliff Walk" that I can gaze at and remember what the sunshine feels like.


If you'd like to participate in the Simple Woman's Daybook, visit this link.

2 comments:

The Ties that Bind Us said...

I really enjoyed this post! I wanted to stop by and invite you to ourlifestyleoflearning.ning.com. It is a new network of classical homeschoolers sharing ideas with each other. I see you use TOG, we do too. And, yes, I read the cliff notes last year, too!

Mrs. C said...

I enjoyed this post. If Grandma hadn't been here, we would have joined that speech club. That would have been neat! Next year, with both kids taking classes in the college, it's not likely I'll join anything.

I know what you mean about needing some sunshine. I'm feeling that right now, too.