Monday, February 16, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook



FOR TODAY (February 16)...
Outside my window... The sun is shining and the breeze is chilly. Once again snow was forecasted, and nothing fell. I have 2 very disappointed children.

I am thinking... that I am coming down with the cold My Boy had last week, and My Girl had over the weekend. My throat has been getting scratchier all day.

I am thankful for... meds that lessen the symptoms of colds, etc. Can you imagine living in the days of no advil? No benadryl?

From the learning rooms... 30 days and counting until the IOWA tests. We're ratcheting up the math this year in hopes of bringing up those scores. Both my kids score way above grade level on language, not so much on math. Scholastic had some good workbooks for prepping for the tests in the math area, and we've been working on those. We'll know soon how well they worked.

From the kitchen... there are pork chops in the crockpot, cooking in honey mustard sauce. I'll add rice and roasted asparagus to our dinner, along with rolls.

I am wearing... blue jeans, a beige long sleeve top and a burgundy camisole underneath. I'm chilly, though. I need to put on my fuzzy polarfleece "house jacket".

I am creating... amigurumi dolls with the co-op class I teach on Mondays. I'm teaching them to crochet, and then we'll make one of these cute dolls.

I am going... to hear Chuck Edwards speak tomorrow night. He'll be talking to parents and teens about media and how worldview comes through in what we watch and read. Both My Girl and My Boy will be attending, but they're not very excited about it. They're going anyway ;-)

I am reading... Wives and Daughters, by Elizabeth Gaskell. (still-- this will probably be here a few weeks since I don't have many long expanses of time to read these days.)-- yep, still.

I am hearing... just a few sounds. I like quiet after a long day at co-op. I can hear the jingle of the dogs' collars, the sound of the wii downstairs where My Boy and My Girl are playing, and the sound of a fishing boat out on the lake. They must have decided the fish aren't biting in our cove so they've headed off for better luck somewhere else.

Around the house... Every room needs a general picking up. A few weeks ago we had a party and everything was so clean, and I wondered how long it would stay that way. The answer is, not long.

One of my favorite things... is roasted asparagus. Place fresh asparagus in a roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic salt, and roast at 400 for about 20 minutes. Easy and delicious!

A few plans for the rest of the week: not much out of the ordinary this week. Schooling, tutoring, laundry. I love weeks like this one :-)

Here is picture thought I am sharing... this is a picture of some cute amigurumi that I borrowed from Patti's Originals




If you'd like to participate in the Simple Woman's Daybook, visit this link.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Those little bears are just adorable! You must show us your finished products....

Country Girl said...

The little animals are dear! And thanks for sharing that little asparagus tip. Sounds wonderful.

Mrs. C said...

I'm a big asparagus lover, too. I have a beef asparagus stir fry recipe that you might enjoy. I'll try to post it one of these days.

I hope you feel better.