Sunday, May 31, 2009

Checking In

I saw my sister yesterday, and she said it was high time I updated my blog. It's been nearly a month since my last entry!

So what have I been doing all this time?

* traveling to speech & debate tournaments. My posting really slowed down once tournament season started. We traveled to Acworth GA, Raleigh NC, and Fayetteville GA within about 5 weeks of each other, missing 4 days of school with each tournament. Of course, those days *counted* as school, but subjects like math, writing, and science suffered. So we've been trying to catch up in those areas while trying to just keep up with our TOG reading schedule. We love speech & debate here, and I will go to my dying days believing in the huge positives of the activity, but there's no denying it's tough finding the balance. We need to do a better job planning ahead for the busy-ness of the early spring.

* traveling to Brosnan Forest. My dear brother-in-law works for Norfolk Southern Railway, and that company owns a huge forested resort in SC near Charleston called Brosnan Forest. During the winter months it is used as a hunting preserve for company meetings and entertaining clients; during the spring & summer months it is available to employees to vacation there. Wesley reserves the largest cabin (sleeps 24!) every other spring for a large family vacation time. Word "cabin" is used very loosly here -- don't picture camping or hardship! It is more like a log hotel, with every amenity except room service. Satellite tv, free wifi, all linens provided. Then in the resort itself, there is a pool, lots of stocked fishing ponds, skeet shooting, tennis, badminton, golf, and unbelievable wildlife. We watched a family of bald eagles all week. It was amazing! Even though we were so behind in school from all the debate travel, do you think I would turn down this opportunity? No way! Of course I took all the school books with us. How much schooling do you think got done? You're right -- not much. So that was another week out of school.

* Curriculum selling & shopping. Yes, that's right -- it's that time of year again. Time for plowing through catalogs & sell/swap boards online looking for school books for next year. And writing up ads for books I have that I need to sell in order to have money to buy books for next year. And packaging up books I sold. And driving to and from the post office to ship them out. And standing in line at said post offices. (I've already bought one book twice. Ug. Now I have another one I need to sell!)

* Neatening up my flower beds. When I got home from one of my trips out of town (can't remember which one) I found dh had left me a surprise of 21 bales of pine needles stacked neatly in the carport. The stack is down to about 6 bales now; I'm slowly but surely making my way through it. The yard looks so much better with neat beds and fresh pine needles, but goodness I'm sore! My back and leg muscles are groaning.

I know there's more, but for now I've got to go get ready for church! I'll post again soon, I promise!

2 comments:

Kristine said...

Jana, it sounds like you've been having a great spring! You've been busy--I have NO excuse for not working on at least selling my used stuff.... there's always next year, haha.

Mrs. C said...

Hey, glad you're back! It sounds like you've been having lots of great times. :D