Monday, June 08, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook



FOR TODAY (June 8, 2009)...

Outside my window... It looks to be a beautiful day. The water is so still it looks like glass. A couple (man & woman, middle aged) on a fishing boat drifted past this morning -- they were as quiet as the morning. It was 6:30 when they went past my house. I wonder what time they got started?

I am thinking... how blessed I am to be able to have my quiet time and a cup of coffee on my porch overlooking the lake.

I am thankful for... my friend Carol, who offered me a project -- painting her office. What a blessing that was -- getting to do something fun, and getting paid for it to boot!

From the learning rooms... My Man and I have been taking the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University class at our church. We're most of the way through it, and we have learned so much. The words "financial peace" have much meaning for me, and this course is allowing me to finally have some! I recommend it for anyone. It has given me information and techniques that may be common sense, but I never knew a lot of it. Even more, Dave's upbeat presentations are not only entertaining, but so motivating. He really makes you believe you're going to be just fine, and even wealthy in the future. We've got a plan to be debt-free (except for the house) by this time next year.

From the kitchen... I smell coffee brewing. Plans for dinner tonight are spaghetti and salad.

I am wearing... Old blue & white pj pants that used to belong to My Man, with a pink Land's End pj top. My toenails are bright red :-)

I am creating... lesson plans for TOG next year. I'm giving Homeschool Tracker Plus another try this year. I used it somewhat this year, to keep track of attendance and reading lists, plus My Boy's assignments. But I only entered them after the fact. This year I'm trying to enter all the assignments this summer and save them so I'll have them for My Girl when she gets to this point in a few years. I think I'm about done with TOG assignments, now I'm deciding if/how to enter the other subjects.

I am going... to paint Carol's office in about an hour. I've got to waken My Girl, because she wants to help me so she can earn a little summer money, too.

I am reading... the book of Revelation. I don't think I've ever sat down and read the whole thing -- it's always intimidated me. I don't usually get symbolism. I'm very black and white -- just tell me what you want me to know, don't make me have to infer meaning from symbols! I always failed at that in high school english :-) But I'm taking a few days to just read it through, without a commentary, to see what God wants me to learn.

I am hearing... only the ticking of the clock and the whir of my laptop fan. I love this time of morning.

Around the house... there is still a pile of sleeping bags in the great room, from My Girl's birthday sleepover Saturday night.

One of my favorite things... tomato sandwiches made with garden-ripe tomatoes, Duke's mayonnaise, salt & pepper, on white bread. Heaven! and my tomato plants look really great right now. They've got some blooms, at least. I was late setting them out, and I'm trying out container gardening this year. I put my plants on the deck, in full sun, hoping the deer and bunnies won't have the nerve to climb the steps to eat my bounty this year.

A few plans for the rest of the week... The first half of the week I'll paint Carol's office, then on Thursday I'll take the kids and go to Lake Junaluska to join My Man. He's up there the last half of the week for Annual Conference, a yearly meeting of Methodist pastors from western NC. Lake Junaluska is in a beautiful area of the mountains, and we'll go up for a day or so to enjoy a hike and play in the streams.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing... These are pictures from My Girl's party. She's 13 this month!












If you'd like to participate in the Simple Woman's Daybook, visit this link.

2 comments:

Mrs. C said...

Great post. I know what you mean about financial peace. It's worth the work required to be debt free. I'll never regret all the things we had to do without in order to get here!!! I'm thrilled for you that you're almost there!!! Well done, Jana!

A really great book is Automatic Millionaire by David Bach. There's nothing automatic about it except for setting up automatic payments to yourself. The idea is to pay yourself first...which I don't agree with. I believe everyone else should be paid first, but he offers some wise insights and some really good advice. Take his ideas and base them on Christian money principles and it's a good thing. Another good book is Becoming the Woman God Wants Me to Be by Donna Partow (Proverbs 31 life). She mentions David Bach's books a few times in her financial chapters. Anyway...I've enjoyed reading both, so I wanted to share.

Love the pics. It looks like everyone had a great time!

Mrs. C said...

You've been given a blog award. You can pick it up at my blog.