Monday, June 22, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook



FOR TODAY (June 22, 2009)...

Outside my window... Hot!! The sky is clear, but there's a vague haze already at 7 in the morning. I'm watching another house finch building another nest in one of my ferns on the porch. This is family #6 in houseguests born at our home this spring. The most recent, another set of house finches in a different fern, said goodbye to their fledglings over the weekend. I could hear them chirping words of encouragement all morning last Friday.

I am thinking... about our trip tomorrow to San Francisco. We're flying out with 4 "buddy passes" so I just hope we all get to board the plane and actually get out there (and back).

I am thankful for... those buddy passes. What a blessing they are to us -- vacation probably wouldn't have happened this summer without this generous gift from a church member.

From the learning rooms... Summer break has finally arrived. ahhhhhh....

From the kitchen... nothing happening right now. I need to get some coffee going, though. Dinner tonight, probably burgers on the grill. I don't want to heat up the house cooking!

I am wearing... pink flowered pj pants and a t-shirt from a youth retreat my kids went on last summer. The theme of the retreat last year was "God Most High -- the Musical." My kids won't wear these shirts in public, though, because the design of the words makes it look just like it says "High School Musical," and no thinking teenager would be caught dead in something that could be mistaken for that.


I am creating... piles of laundry to be folded as we get ready for packing tonight. I hope no visitors show up today -- there's no where to sit. The couches are covered in clothes!

I am going... to San Francisco tomorrow! (did I mention that?)

I am reading... books on, can you believe it, San Francisco! I'm trying to plan a loose itinerary. Our plan is to cover the west-side stuff (Golden Gate bridge, Golden Gate Park) on Wednesday, the east-side stuff (North Beach, Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz) on Thursday, and rent a car and go to Muir Woods and Point Reyes National Seashore on Friday. Then we're supposed to fly back home on Saturday.

I am hearing... the gurgle of the coffeemaker. I did get that coffee started a minute ago :-) Also, I can hear the clothes tumbling in the dryer.

Around the house... My Girl and My Boy are still sleeping soundly. I expect My Girl to arise first, probably any minute (it's 7:30 now), and I'll probably have to awaken My Boy around 10:30 or 11:00.

One of my favorite things... The Closer. I just love that show. It comes on tonight at 9. If you like strong Southern women with a weakness for chocolate, you'll like Brenda. Just try to overlook Kyra Sedgewick's southern accent. Very few actors can get it right, and she's no exception.

A few plans for the rest of the week... I think I've already bored you enough about our plans for this week :-)

Here is a picture thought I am sharing... Here's a picture of My Man with his buddy Princess. We had a nice Father's Day yesterday. Believe it or not, this was the first Father's Day *ever* for my kids to have him home with them all day. He's usually long gone on Father's Day Sunday mornings by the time they awaken (he's a pastor, remember, and he likes to get to church long before anyone else so he can get his thoughts together), but this year he's on vacation. It was so nice! No special breakfast, though (see My Boy's sleeping habits, above). We had a nice lunch of his favorite Wilted Spinach Salad, then we all went to see Up at the matinee.






If you'd like to participate in the Simple Woman's Daybook, visit this link.

1 comment:

Mrs. C said...

Have a wonderful trip!