Sunday, July 05, 2009

Happy 4th!

I hope you're having a great holiday weekend!

Mine has been pretty traditional, for us. Which means, we don't really do much that's different on the 4th.

I did forget to watch tennis yesterday morning, but I'm watching the men's finals today. I don't watch much tennis like I used to. I used to love watching John McEnroe (I admit I was a fan of his), Ivan Lendl, and Martina Navratilova. These days I only watch the Wimbledon finals and US Open finals. But this morning, Andy Roddick is playing Roger Federer, and he's surprisingly holding his own. Roddick recently married a local girl -- Brooklyn Decker -- who is a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model. I have no idea who she is other than that, but we've been seeing them on the local news lately so I'll root for him. Plus, he's the underdog. Gotta go for the underdog.

Our other 4th activities: I did too much yard work yesterday. There's a fairly steep bank that leads down to the water, that is the bane of my existence. I tried to landscape it a few years ago, but the maintenance is backbreaking. So this year and last, I've kind of let it go. And the weeds have loved me for it! It has really started looking baaadddd, so yesterday I took the plunge and got to work on it. Many of the weeds were trees that had been allowed to grow into saplings 4-5 ft. tall (I told you it was bad), so most of my day was spent with the long pruning shears. Keep in mind this is on a steep bank, so I was in a constant reaching/stretching position, and having to keep my balance or else go sliding down the hill. Once I got the big stuff, My Man followed behind with the weedeater. The bank looks much much better today.

Lets just say I'm paying for it this morning. I'm walking around like an 85 year old!

Of course, one of the nice things about doing yard work here is that, if you do it in your bathing suit, you can jump in the lake to cool off. So I spent a good deal of time yesterday on my float, too.

We did try to do stick to tradition for dinner. We grilled corn, grilled hamburgers, made Pioneer Woman's Crash Hot Potatoes, and finished off with homemade banana walnut ice cream. It was pretty delicious!

We ended the night watching a few fireworks from around the lake, but just the ones we could see from our porch. Then I went to bed, and fell asleep to the sound of fireworks booming that went on until around midnight.

It's a pretty quiet morning around here today. Ahhhhh.

No comments: