Thursday, July 09, 2009

My Man Posts...

My Man gave me permission to copy his church newsletter article here. I changed a little to keep our names out, but otherwise it's straight from him. I thought you might enjoy it...

Living the Adventure

It's hard for me to believe that August is here and summer is starting to wind down. It’s like that old expression, “Where does the time go? It just seems to fly by.” It had to be just a couple of weeks ago that I was on my June vacation!

Speaking of flying and vacation, my family and I were able to fly out to San Francisco, CA, to see all the tourist sites. We were able to do this trip because a friend who works in the airline industry gave us some “non-rev” airline tickets. We had an awesome time and we are so thankful to have received such a generous gift that made it possible for us to do such a wonderful trip.

Non-reving is a great perk that allows employees to travel for free on selected airlines. The catch is that you become the last person to get on the plane, because the paying customers get first priority. If the flight becomes full then you get “bumped” and you have to find another way to get to where you want to go. Needless to say you have to be flexible when you are traveling non-rev. You go into the adventure knowing that you will probably get bumped, and might even get stuck somewhere short of where you want to be, thus making you have to buy a full fare ticket to get to your final destination. It doesn’t help to get upset, because in reality, you are a guest that has been given a free gift which allows you traveling privileges with that particular airline. As a non-rev passenger, that airline reserves the right to withdraw those tickets at anytime. Non-rev passengers shouldn’t complain, but while we were standing at the ticket counter, there were other non-rev travelers doing nothing but complaining.

Our entire family did get to San Francisco, but we did have to split up once we landed in Chicago. Jana and My Girl went on ahead of My Boy and me. I told her to catch the airport shuttle and that My Boy and I would catch up with them at the hotel at some point. We said good-bye to them in Chicago as they boarded a flight to Los Angeles which would then take them to San Francisco. My Boy and I scrambled to find another way out to California. We found room on a later flight that got us to Albuquerque, New Mexico. From there we were able to get on a flight to L.A. which continued on to S.F. We arrived at the hotel at midnight Western Time. Our travel day started at 7 AM Eastern Time, you do the math. Like I said earlier, to non-rev is an adventure and I’m not complaining! Our travel back was almost as adventurous. At the last minute two men who were trying to sneak their dog onto the plane were busted, so 4 seats opened up as the airline was beginning to shut the door to the airplane. They quickly got us on board and we got home.

The Christian life is like non-reving. We are given a free gift through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. We just have to accept the gift and step out on faith that God will guide us on our life’s journey. We may come up short sometimes, and we may often find ourselves complaining about our lot in life. (How did I get stuck here? Why do I have this crummy job? Why did I marry this person?) I think we lose sight of our final destination, which is our heavenly home. We need to remember the words of that old spiritual song that Burl Ives was known for singing:

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger
trav'ling through this world of woe.
there's no sickness, toil nor danger
In that bright world to which I go.
I'm going there to meet my father
I'm going there no more to roam;
I am just going over Jordan
I am just going over home.


Time does fly by and before you know it this life will be gone. Do you see yourself as passing through and enjoying the adventure that God has put you on, or are you stuck at the ticket counter complaining about his free gift?

No comments: