Monday, July 13, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook



FOR TODAY (July 13, 2009)...

Outside my window... It's still dark out, and an early morning thunderstorm has just begun. I can hear the rumble of thunder and the sound of rain on the leaves of the river birch tree just outside my window.

I am thinking... about Calvinism and Arminianism lately. Maybe you've noticed I've added two blogs to my bloglist, both about Arminianism. I'm looking for writers who can articulate the Arminian position in a way I can get a good grasp over it. We'll be studying Calvin and Arminius later this year, and I have a feeling I need to be ready to answer some questions here. My Boy has been having some heated discussions lately with his friends about free will (homeschoolers! gotta love 'em!) so I expect he'll be very interested in this topic. I just want to be prepared with some answers.

I am thankful for... this rain (cue loud crack of thunder). It's been a couple of weeks and things are starting to look a little parched around here.

From the learning rooms... Not a whole lot yet. Both kids are picking up their math studies, and My Boy is diligently working to finish his biology. Speech & debate season interfered with his getting done with all of his subjects, and I let him take a much-needed break in June. Now he's trying hard to get it all wrapped up.

From the kitchen... right this minute, nothing. We did enjoy dinner last night: chicken kabobs on the grill and brown rice. Tonight: baked barbecue pork chops, canteloupe, and brussels sprouts with cheese sauce (the only way my kids will eat brussels sprouts is with lots of cheese sauce, and then not very often :-)

I am wearing... cotton pj bottoms and a green t-shirt from Naples, FL.

I am creating... still those socks. I picked up some yarn and a pattern for a light weight jacket/cardigan. I'm hoping I'll get to wear it almost year round around here. It would also make a great house jacket -- sort of swingy, with 3/4 sleeves. I'll post a picture when I get it done.

I am going... to stop by the vegetable stand in the nearby town this morning. I'm hoping to find some cantaloupe and some fresh blueberries. And maybe even some peaches. It's about time for the freestone peaches to be coming in -- as a descendant of a long line of SC peach farmers, I've been spoiled to only eat peaches when they are fresh, ripe, soft, and freestone. It limits my time to enjoy peaches, but boy are they good!!

I am reading... Wives and Daughters. I'm enjoying it, but just reading a bit before bed each night. At this rate it will take me awhile.

I am hearing... thunder and heavy rain. It's really coming down right now. All else is quiet around the house.

Around the house... I need to do some work on my porches. The cushions on the porch swings and lounges need to be recovered, but my sewing machine needs to go to the repair shop first. The bobbin isn't feeding correctly. It's been this way for awhile -- I don't sew much, but there are projects every once in awhile, so I need to get it fixed.

One of my favorite things... brown rice salad for lunch. Mix some leftover brown rice, cooked chicken, chopped tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, and my new favorite dressing -- Kraft Asian Sesame. delish!

A few plans for the rest of the week... taking My Boy back and forth to the local high school for driver's ed. He's a little nervous about it, but at least he'll have a friend there too. He's been practicing driving a bit on some of the little lanes around here.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing... My Man was given an old sailboat last year, and he has spent the winter and spring fixing it up. I gave him a sail for his birthday. Here's a picture of him sailing into our cove after an afternoon out.




If you'd like to participate in the Simple Woman's Daybook, visit this link.

5 comments:

Kevin Jackson said...

Hi Jana, I see you linked to my blog (thanks!) and are interested in Arminian theology.

For reading up on Arminian Theology, the Society of Evangelical Arminians is a great resource: arminians.org. The content on there varies widely, some is easy reading, some is difficult. Their links and books section also list a number of good resources.

A book I highly recommend is "Why I'm not a Calvinist", by Walls and Dongell. It is written at a layman's level. Walls also did a talk on Arminianism, which can be found here (MP3). It might give you an idea if the book would be of interest or not.

You might also enjoy this post by a homeschooling mom (if you haven't seen it already). Losing my way to the Big Blur; finding my way back out (Seeking Faithfulness blog).

God bless,
Kevin

Monica H said...

Hey Jana! First of all, congrats to your man on the cool sail boat! Second, I had no idea your relatives are from SC . . . I'm from SC as well (not sure about the peach farmers, but definitely SC). Your writing is so eloquent - I felt like I was looking out of your window as you described what you saw (and, boy were you up early!).
I don't know much about the Arminianism or Calvinism (actually, I used to be pretty well versed in Calvinism back in seminary, but those days are long gone). I will check back in often to see if you've found any good info on them, though, as I'd really like to know more as well. Sounds interesting :)
Take care . . .

Jana said...

Thanks for the links, Kevin. I've added Seeking Faithfulness to my bloglist, too. Her blog post rang true with me -- I felt I could've written it! thanks for stopping by!

Jana said...

Hey Monica,

my folks are from the Spartanburg & Inman area. My grandfather was a sharecropper and grew peaches & cotton both. My mom always attributes our good health to our coming from "strong peasant stock." :-)

Mrs. C said...

Oh I know what you mean about fresh peaches. We just brought some back from SC and I've never in my life tasted anything better. I didn't know peaches could taste that good.

Great sailboat! Looks like fun!!!

Oh, and I need to recover or replace my patio sets as well. The cushions are so faded I can hardly see the pattern. I noticed that Garden Ridge has them on sale for 50% off. The sale ends tomorrow the 21st. I'm hoping to get there before it's over.

If you're interested in checking them out, we could go together. 704-539-5200