Sunday, September 13, 2009

Seagrove

A couple of weeks ago, I took some of my girlfriends on a girl's day out to one of my favorite places: Seagrove, NC.

Seagrove is a tiny town about 20 minutes south of Asheboro, NC. There's no big industry there, no sight-seeing stops, no antique villages, or even great restaurants. If you don't know what to look for, you'd drive right past the exits on the highway without ever giving it another thought. But you'd miss a great day!

Because what Seagrove has, is clay. Supposedly perfect clay, clay that is just what you need for making pottery. And Seagrove is the Pottery Capital of the World!

You can find all sorts of pottery there, from artsy...



to functional...



to these unique face jugs...



Potters have been working in Seagrove since the 1700's, and most of the potters there today are descendants of those craftsmen. These folks have been written up in magazines and their work is on display in museums around the country.

But what's really fun about Seagrove is *where* you find the pottery. You see, just about everyone in Seagrove is a potter. And just about everyone in Seagrove lives in old houses on several acres of land. And they all have their own workshops and kilns out behind their old houses. So they put a sign out by the road that advertises their wares, and they're open for business. There are over 90 such businesses in the Seagrove area, including the nearby towns of Climax and Whynot. (you read those right)

When you visit Seagrove, you first go to downtown (about a block long) and find the pottery center, and pick up a map. Then you hop in your car and drive around until you find a pottery that looks interesting, and you pull in. You'll be greeted by some of the friendliest folks you ever met, and you'll see of the cutest gardens, and sweetest greeter-dogs, and I guarantee some interesting sights.

In fact, you have no idea what you'll find when you get out of your car. Some of the potteries look like typical craft shops, some look like old time general stores, and some look like art galleries you'd find in the biggest cities. Each one is an adventure!

Here's what I came home with this trip, to add to my collection:

a couple of coffee mugs



a canister set



and an ornament. I had this old windchime that had lost it's "ornament thingy" that hangs from the bottom. I saw this beautiful oak-leaf ornament and knew it would be just the thing. Now I have wind music again, and it makes me happy :-)



No face jugs this time!

3 comments:

Mrs. C said...

Seagrove looks like fun.

The leaf ornament looks great on your windchime. I have a broken windchime in the basement. I miss it because it sounds so pretty. I should look for something like this to fix mine. I bet I could find something similar at Hobby Lobby.

Thanks for the idea. :)

Kristine said...

Ooh, I love the things you bought! You'll need to get pics next time of the town!

I'm guessing Seagrove is NOT on the sea, lol.

Jana said...

I know! I can't believe I forgot my camera. Well, actually I can believe it, because I never have it when I want it....

and no, Seagrove isn't near the sea. That's what my friends thought too! They were wondering how I was going to take them on a day trip all the way out to the coast and back :o)