Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sewing

About 20 years ago, my sister gave me a sewing machine. It was a Singer machine, in a cabinet and everything. She had bought it new for herself, and then after awhile she decided sewing wasn't something she really wanted to spend her time on.

I've still got it. Since then, we've moved 4 times, and that sewing machine is one of the trickiest pieces of furniture we have. Its weight is lopsided, being really heavy on one end and really light on the other. And it has long skinny legs that I'm always afraid are going to snap off, so you can't push it or slide it across the floor (or moving van, as the case may be). You have to carry it. And it takes 2 people.

During the times we move, we always say, "do we really want this sewing machine??"

But there are so many times I'm glad we have it. I've used it make curtains, duvet covers, porch cushions, halloween costumes (a purple princess dress comes to mind...), maternity clothes, and lots of mending. It's been a good, dependable little machine.

A few weeks ago, My Girl decided she wanted to give sewing a try. She's grown up a lot this summer in terms of taste, and has become very interested in fashion. So she wanted to try making something that was really "hers".

We found a cute pattern for a dress, and finally found a fabric store that sells clothing fabric (as opposed to home decor fabrics).

Here's her dress:



Doesn't she look great? We had fun working on it together, and she had fun choosing the fabrics. It was a nice mom & daughter project, and this was one of those times where I'm *really* glad we kept the machine!

2 comments:

Monica Humpal said...

And she looked just beautiful in it, too! Tell her I'm proud of her and I think it's neat that she is sewing. Some of us tried it and just couldn't get the hang of it, so good job!

the Provident Woman said...

That dress is great!!! I've never made one. I've wanted to and bought all of the stuff to make one, but never got around to it. My plan this year is to make all of our Christmas clothes. We'll see if I get it done.