Monday, December 28, 2009

Monday's Daybook

FOR TODAY (December 28, 2009)...

Outside my window... It's very dark out, but the Christmas lights are all on. My Man did a great job of stringing a Christmas tree design on the lakeside porch this year. He's always trying to come up with a creative way to light up the lakeside of the house. Ultimately, he wants to get a tree for the dock, but we haven't gotten around to purchasing one of those yet!

I am thinking... about a new Bible study I'll be leading at church in a couple of weeks. We'll be doing Leslie Parrot's "You Matter More Than You Think." It's a dvd study geared towards women who get so bogged down in the details and minutiae of their lives and wonder whether any of it has any meaning in the long run. I'm looking forward to it, as that very thought has been niggling the back of my mind for awhile now. Am I serving the Lord's purpose for my life? It seems so mundane and unfocused sometimes. Like I'm constantly just "doing the next thing" without really having a set purpose. I'm praying that I'll gain some insight by doing this study, and that it will also touch the lives of other women who might be wondering some of the same things I am.

I am thankful for... the blessings of this Christmas season. For the gift of the Son, Jesus Christ, in my life.

From the learning rooms... We are beginning "catch-up week" around here. Hopefully My Boy can make some real headway in catching up in chemistry, as he got pretty behind back at the beginning of the year (a week of driving, getting pneumonia, and then breaking his writing arm all in a space of 2 months). My Girl is pretty well on track for the year, but she is beginning an new online class next week and needs to finish reading "The Time Machine" before Monday.

From the kitchen... I need to go start some coffee!

I am wearing... Flannel pj pants that I had originally bought for My Boy for Christmas but decided they'd be better for me :-) Also a tie-dyed "Jesus" t-shirt and a warm fuzzy white robe.

I am creating... I'm in-between projects right now. Over Christmas, I knitted a vest for My Man and a Denver Broncos hat for My Boy. I do have a pair of socks on the needles that I need to finish up, but I'm in the boring part of finishing up the legs -- just going round and round -- and I need some motivation.

I am going... nowhere that I know of. I'm sure I'll be doing errands, but right now nothing comes to mind. Joy! I am such a homebody at heart, and I relish days when I can actually just stay in my nest.

I am reading... Just finished Sweetwater Creek by Anne Rivers Siddons. I enjoy her books. They all take place in the lowcountry of South Carolina, and they remind me so much of childhood vacations I took at the beaches there. We didn't spend a lot of time in the actual lowcountry, more at the beaches. But we did visit the lowcounty area a few times. The whole area is so beautiful and I can easily picture it as she writes about it.

I am hearing... only the ticking of the clock on the wall behind me and the hum of the refigerator.

Around the house... this ginormous tree must come down today! While it is really beautiful, and the scent has been lovely, I'm just frankly tired of the cramped feeling we have in our family area. Honestly, the tree didn't look so big when it was out in the open field!

One of my favorite things... pound cake. Yum! One of My Man's co-workers (and good friends) gave us one for Christmas this year and it's delightful. A slice of pound cake and a cup of coffee while sitting by the Christmas tree -- that's hard to beat!

A few plans for the rest of the week... Taking back control of my house from the Christmas decorations, wrapping paper, ribbons, and even a few gifts that are still strewn around on the sofas. Also, I need to begin organizing our TOG materials for the upcoming 3rd unit (hard to believe the school year is flying by so quickly.)

Here is a picture thought I am sharing... This year was the closest I've ever had to a white Christmas. We got about 3-4" of snow the weekend before, and there was actually a tiny bit still on the ground on Christmas morning! Here's a picture of our house during the middle of the snowfall. The grass was actually covered by the time morning arrived.




If you'd like to participate in the Simple Woman's Daybook, visit this link.

1 comment:

Hen Jen said...

oh wow, I love your white Christmas! You sound like a very creative person, I've visited your blog before I think, I just love the thought of living next to a lake!

have a great New Year!