Wednesday, August 18, 2010

High School!

We started school this week -- My Boy starting 11th grade and My Girl starting (drumroll please.......) ............... high school!

I don't know who is trying to play this cruel trick on me, but there. Is. No. Way. my kids are old enough for 9th and 11th grade!

I've got to say though, as much as I have loved homeschooling all along, I still love it just as much in high school. I love having my kids old enough for in depth discussions about history and church history (a la TOG). And I love being able to have discussions about books we both enjoy (they're reading Pride & Prejudice this week. Joy! It's fun to have someone to laugh at Mrs. Bennett with!)

I also love that they are doing such a good job with the independent part of their learning. I always heard that by the time you get to high school a homeschool mom has worked her way out of a job, but I didn't quite believe it. However, I can tell you that there's a lot of wisdom to it. Even though I'm still teaching My Girl algebra, and I'm meeting with the kids once a week for TOG discussions, I'm finding myself with a lot of time on my hands. I've even taken on a part time job! I don't know if I'll keep it or not -- we've only just begun our year but so far, so good. I'm able to be there for the subjects my kids need me for in the morning hours, and then work in the afternoons. Where we might have a problem later is when extra-curriculars start up. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it, I guess. For right now, this first week of school has been a good one!

3 comments:

Kristine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jana said...

Hey Kristine! yes, I think it's time I get on with blogging. I think I was in a state of almost shock with the (sort of sudden) move, and I just couldn't find words to say. I'm feeling more sure-footed these days, though.

This job sort of fell in my lap -- I sure didn't do much to look for it. I work as an admin assistant at the corportate office of a dry cleaning chain. They just need me about 4 hours a day, and I can be flexible with setting the hours: mornings sometimes and afternoons sometimes. Right now, the kids are doing school from 8:30-11:30 with me, and using the afternoon hours for reading and independent work. I'm hopeful!

I hope you like Lial's. My Boy used it for BCM, Intro Alg, and now Intermediate Algebra (which he's taking from Jann in TX online). My Girl used it for BCM and now for Intro Alg. Fred looks intriguing but I never had the nerve to try it. I don't have intuitive-math-learners and I felt we should stay with a more traditional program.

Thanks for keeping up with me & my blog!

Kristine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.