Saturday, January 25, 2014

Rag Quilt

I'm going to make a rag quilt for my daughter for her high school graduation this spring. I've found some wonderful tutorials that I'll link here so I can find them easily when I need them:

This one has a chart w/ measurements and fabric amounts needed for various sizes: Jubilee Homespun Fabric

That same site has beautiful homespun fabric collections, including this blue one w/ a pattern layout my dd likes:  40-Soft-Homespun-6-inch-Quilt-Squares

This one has cute fabric choices pictured, and these are the ones my dd likes the most. She has an Etsy shop, and sells rag quilt kits, too. Northern Cottage

This one has some good time-saving advice: The Complete Guide to Imperfect Homemaking

This is one on Etsy that uses lovely vintage fabric (including a chenille bedspread, I think) JustLuved's Etsy Shop

This tutorial explains how to sew the X's on the squares  Green Apple Orchard

This one is done in strips, and would be a great 1 day project for a baby gift or housewarming:  Easy Peasy DIY Rag Quilt 

Good practical tips here: Dream a Little Bigger

My plan is to bring dd along with me to choose her fabric, but for a surprise I'm going to embroider some of her favorite quotes and scriptures and a few of the squares. She has a whole pinterest board filled with quotes that stir her heart, and I'm going to pick a few from there. That should personalize it well for a graduation gift from a mother to a daughter.

I'm looking forward to this project! I went to Hancock Fabrics last night and bought a cutting board, a rotary cutter, and a ruler -- they were all marked down and I had a coupon from Retail Me Not. Yay!

No comments: